Thursday, July 17, 2008

Chandelier Chain Cover or Cozy

Now most of you who read my blog regularly (not sure how many really) know that I am not a crafter. I am an antiquer, a sometimes chef....er...person who likes to cook (SOMETIMES), and a story teller. Oh yes, and in my last career job I was a television producer. One thing you don't really see much of on my blog is crafting.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy crafting. In fact, in my much younger days I crafted a lot! But lately, it's just usually things to sell in my booth, like refinished furniture, etc.

Yesterday, I actually started sewing. SEWING! And I use my Mother's old sewing machine, above. This machine is great! Keeps singing along with a happy tune after all these years. (I'm going to hear from my Mother about how often I am referring to its age! LOL!) And all I have is the one stitch because over time and moving around, the book and attachments have disappeared.


What sparked the whole thing was a chandelier chain cover. I wanted one....and after looking for them online, I decided "hey, I can make that."

So off I marched to Joann Fabrics. Where was I going to find the right stuff? What was I doing? I didn't know how to make one....I was just winging it. So I did what I normally do...I headed to the clearance isle. It didn't take too long....I found a last, barely hanging off of the cardboard, piece of moire pink fabric. (And I just learned what moire is! Ooh la la!) It was damaged in two places. A big black grease mark and a large cut in the middle.

The gal who cuts and measures your fabric for pricing gave it to me at 75 percent off! SOLD! This is enough to have me dreaming of sewing and making projects all summer long. But, I of course, get ahead of myself. I still had to figure out how to make the first project.

I decided to just sew a tube to slip over the chain, since my chandelier hasn't even been hung up yet. (I'll have to show you my plans for it soon.)

And a few swooshes through that good ol SINGER and it was all over. It was done. Easy as PIE. (I don't make pie, either.)

Now some of you crafty/sewing experts are probably having a good chuckle about now...as this is probably a beginner's project. I have sewn other things....like pillows. (Very basic styles.) But for some reason I was tickled about this project and I love it! I had wanted to cover the chain to tone down all the silvery metal and I think this did the trick.

So now I'm looking around the house to see what else I can zip zip zip through the machine.

Curtains anyone?

9 comments:

blessings said...

You know, I was never a sewer or a crafter or anything like that but one day I decided to make curtains. I called mom and asked if she could show me how. She tried to hide the disbelief in her voice but she was clear that you don't start a sewing career with curtains. But we did it together - we really did it and it was so much fun! These days I love sewing and often joke with mom that I still don't "get" patterns. =) Blessings... Polly

Free Art Printables said...

Love the chandelier cord cover... it's so cute! Jen R

Ms.Daisy said...

Nice crafting, Jillian...actually, you've been crafting since, well, since the yarn doll! :-)


Love,


Ms.Daisy

Melissa said...

Jillian,

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog.

You sound like a kindred spirit with cooking. At least, you found some easy options. Good for you.

By the way, you have a great blog. I must come by to visit again soon.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Melissa
Sunbonnet Cottage

Liz Harrell said...

Hey! You know I'm super impressed. The chandelier chord cover looks adorable. Just think, this could be the beginning of major craft projects! :)

MJ said...

Don't tempt me with curtains: I have absolutely no window dressings for the rooms starting to emerge from the basement reno! LOL! You might be kept sewing for a long time!!

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

AWESOME!!!!!!

oliver rain said...

Nice chandelier cover. I love that sewing machine.

Anonymous said...

have lots of fun sewing.... even the littlest things can give you big satisfaction.