Saturday, December 27, 2008

Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree

Just when I thought the excitement was over....along comes an EARTHQUAKE! The Jillian's Pages household was literally shaken up around midnight this morning.


Here's how it happened:


Dear Hubs and I were getting ready for bed. We had just watched "The Dark Knight," the latest batman flick. As I'm getting ready to turn out the light I said "I feel like something bad is going to happen." I kid you not. I said that. And he said "whaddya mean, something bad is going to happen?" I'm sure he thought I was being a bit kooky. I said "I dunno, like something is going to fall or drop." I shrugged it off and turned out the light. He was being a sweetie and letting me sleep while he put Dear Bebe to back to bed after her latest feeding.

About an hour and a half later I woke up to the sound of an extremely loud boom and the whole house shook. We live in the woods so my first thought was "A TREE HAS FALLEN ON THE HOUSE!" I jumped up and Dear Hubs and I were like "What the heck was that?" Only we didn't say heck.

I checked on Dear Bebe and she was still sleeping. But the noise wasn't going away. There was still this loud rumbling sound. So we're looking out windows and turning on outside lights looking for downed trees. Nothing. We looked down the "hill" we live on to the lights twinkling of the town below and nothing unusual was going on. Dear Hubs mentioned an earthquake and I'm like "not here in Central Pennsylvania." Come ON. Must have been an explosion. So then of course you start wondering about bombs being dropped somewhere. In this day and age you never know.




By the time we were up again at 5 am for another Dear Bebe feeding we discovered it had been an actual earthquake! It registered 3.3 on the Richter scale. The funky blue area on the graph above is it. Wow! I have felt an earthquake. I can't even imagine what a stronger quake would feel like because this one scared me to pieces. I was shaking for awhile afterwards.




We looked over the contents of our house, nothing had fallen or broken. But I'm still hoping Dear Hubs checks out the foundation of the house. I'd hate wake up one morning at the bottom of the hill.




And that my friends is the night we really did rock around the Christmas tree.

7 comments:

Connie said...

The earthquake of 1989 in San Francisco/Oakland is the reason we moved to Idaho, honey. We lost contact with each other for 5 hours and our quake was 7.5 on the Richter scale. Now, that was the worst one we'd lived through so we left a couple of years later. I actually was coming out of the grocery store and saw the horizon moving! That did it for us.......
Smooches for le bebe,
Connie
Oooooh, and sleep tight tonight,sweetpea........

a Pocket Angel said...

Jillian, Oh my how scary is that! We here in Ohio have had a few very small eathhquakes.. they were such a very odd feeling.
Glad you are safe!
Hope you and your family had a lovely Christmas Hugs ~Mary~:-}

MJ said...

Wow. I've never experienced an earthquake. I've never thought of an earthquake in the middle of winter. I am glad you were all safe and sound; hope your foundation is too! You had a premonition about it ~ how eerie!

Ms.Daisy said...

I don't know how I would react to something so scary! I hope I never have to! Glad you are okay and having DH check the foundation of your house. That premonition you had is eerie, too!

Love you,
Mau

Fifi Flowers said...

You are not supposed to have earthquakes in your part of the country. Glad you are alright.
Hope you are ENJOYING the holiday season!
Fifi

Michelle said...

What a way to wake up! How scary.. I live in Calif. and have yet to feel one (not that I want to!)

Glad everyone is ok..

Michelle

Neabear said...

Came over here from Dana's and started reading and got curious about this earthquake. I was surprised to realize I never heard about it. But living in California I have felt a few. The worst was the one in Sept 2000 in the Napa Valley. Many people lost fireplaces in that one. We had a lot of stuff fall over, but no one hurt. We have been lucky so far. Your little one is precious.