Monday, April 27, 2009

Grandpop & the Choo Choo Trains

All aboard! While I was away from Jillian's Pages, Dear Bebe and I took a fun trip to a railroad museum with Grandpop.


I've loved the sights and sounds of trains since I was about 3 years old.

We lived next to a railroad crossing at the time and I would wave to the conductor late at night hoping he would see me and blast the horn. He always did and in my mind it was because I was waving....it was most likely because he was approaching a crossing.

This model display was really big and impressive. Here is just a cute close up of one of the "towns" as the train speeds by.

This museum has a large collection of really old original trains. See how big they are next to my Dad?


He was really impressed with this one...it's one of the first trains to ever run between Philly and New York around 1835. This one is a replica and on loan from the Smithosonian.

There were lots of antiques on display too. Vintage tools used by rail workers, old traveling items like crates, trunks, and suitcases which really appealed to me because I love looking at antiques.

We had a great time and Grandpop bought Dear Bebe a present from the gift shop....the book "Curious George Takes a Train." I had him sign it for her so she'll know about this special trip.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

that's awesome! how fun. my grandpa LOVES trains!

Ms.Daisy said...

Neat trains...I always enjoy seeing miniture train set ups. Sounds like you had a lot of fun at the train musuem!


~Ms. Daisy

MJ said...

There's a reason why we have a "railway room" in our basement. I'm glad I managed to confine it to a room instead of the whole basement!

I love the Curious George memento of the trip! What a great idea to have Grandpa sign it! Bebe will cherish it!