Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Vintage Recipe Books



Recently we came across some oldie but goodie "treasures." Upon first glance, this book may not look like a treasure but if you love cooking or reading recipes...then you'll love this type of find.
I like it for several reasons.
1) It was published the year my Dad was born, 1939. Because of that, I find things made at that time fascinating.
2) It has a subject index. You don't usually see an index on a book like this... makes it easy to find what you're looking for.
3) It has wonderful handwritten recipes on the inside covers, the note pages, etc. Even a handwritten shoo fly pie recipe! Even though I don't like shoo fly pie, I love the fact someone
wrote it in the book
4) The book is loaded with what I call "kitchen use." You know when you have the book open while you are cooking and a little bit of the ingredients accidently get on the page? I love that too!
It was put together by The Household Magazine.
Great history, great recipes.
By the way, this recipe book is available on our website here! (Shameless plug!)

4 comments:

Ms.Daisy said...

OOOOH! Cool recipe book - I would have liked to see one of the recipes though!


Love,
Ms.Daisy

j said...

Oh that IS a good find! Love the notes on the inside. Hard to believe that someone let that go.

Lucy Bloom said...

What a great find, I love any old books with evidence of previous owners in them.
Lucy x

MJ said...

Shoo fly pie? I've heard of it but thought it was a nonsensical name! And you've tasted it?! I've learned something new today!