Monday, February 2, 2009

Groundhog Day ~ Haven't We Done this Before?


Photo courtesy of Associated Press
Groundhog day. I wish I could find more joy in it. The only joy being of course, that this not so attractive critter would predict a spring that is RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER! But he predicted six more weeks of winter. What? Surprise surprise. Yawn. I'm not enthused. It is a good thing I am not there when they set the little guy down for his shadow demonstration. There I would be asking...are you sure? ARE YOU SURE? I think I saw something that looked like I shadow. Take another look! Can we try that again?

I did read in the news this morning about Punxsutawney Phil:

Since 1886, Phil has seen his shadow 97 times, hasn't seen it 15 times, and there are no records for nine years, according to the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club. The last time Phil didn't see his shadow was in 1999.

The only thing I have to say about that is...1999 was a good year. And what happened during those other nine years?

Here at Jillian's Pages we actually have our own groundhog. I've named him Gordy. Gordy the Groundhog. Dear Hubs threatens to shoot him every year but because I have named him (Ha!) he's not allowed to touch him. I haven't seen Gordy come out of his hole in a long time. I wouldn't come out either if I were him.

So, another boring Groundhog Day. To lift your spirits, rent Groundhog Day, the movie. It will be sure to bring a smile to your face if you're like me and find today's news on the depressing side. We can do it...what's six more weeks?

7 comments:

blessings said...

We had a warmer day yesterday (40 degrees instead of negative something) so we all got a little Spring fever. Just enough to make me want the warm breezes!! Blessings... Polly

MJ said...

Bah. 6 more weeks? I wish. I anticipate 2 more months, at least! Hope your winter is shorter than mine!

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

LOL! Great response...gave me a chuckle. I'm so sorry you have a lot longer. I'm tellin ya. You need to move SOUTH. :-)

I have no idea why I'm not living in Florida.

Back Through Time said...

I am NOT looking forward to 6 more weeks of winter, ugh. Guess I might get all those winter projects done after all, whoopie. (sarcastically said, lol)
Cozy up!
Michelle

Ms.Daisy said...

Neat post, Miss Jillian! I also enjoyed the movie "Groundhog Day."
We need fun stuff when the weather doesn't cooperate! We're expecting snow tonight into tomorrow unless the temps rise and then, rain! Never thought I cheer for rain! HA!

oliver rain said...

Cute groundhog. The movie was on television last night. So cute. Makes me almost want to move to a small town...oh wait, I live in one and I'm going stir crazy, so cancel that thought. I cannot wait for winter to be over this year.

Good news for you. You won one of my market bags. I haven't put them together yet, so I'll let you know when I send it out.

Liz Harrell said...

This post made me laugh. I feel the same way. And speaking of Groundhog Day... I'm starting to feel like I'm IN that movie! I really dont like this time of year. Bring on the sun.