Thursday, February 19, 2009

Let's Face It

I'm becoming attached to using Facebook. This weird thing called FACEBOOK. I mean, what the heck is it, anyway? It is a "social networking" website where you keep in touch with friends, new and old, relatives, etc. It can become addicting because you can see what you entire friends list is up to each day...if they log on and add messages, photos, etc.

But it is completely up to the user. Yesterday however, the website and it's owner were in the new headlines. It appears they changed their terms of service. The new changes meant that they could keep all of your info, photos, messages, etc even if you deleted your account. They owned it and they could do what they want with it.

Well, I suppose if we are silly enough to put on any and all info that we DON'T want on there, then it is our fault. But I think sometimes we trust too much and don't realize how public we are making ourselves.

Even on these blogs.

It is fun, I admit. And I love how my family and friends can check out the blog for our latest adventures. Writing has always been a passion of mine so this helps keep my creative brain going.

But I must confess I've been feeling overwhelmed lately by it all. The blogs, Facebook, technology...instant news ...everything.

I think I'll take a little break to recharge my batteries. Not sure when I'll be back. Probably not for long, knowing me!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

UGH! I thought they changed that idea of keeping all our info... I have Facebook too.. now I am having second thoughts on the whole thing.. its so much more confusing then myspace.

Jill said...

I heard about that thing with the terms, too... and I guess I figure once it's on the web, it's "out there" anyway... I love FB! If you'd like to be FB "friends" - let me know!

Unknown said...

She will be 9 months on the 27th. She started rolling around 5 months.. no crawling for her yet

Anonymous said...

Well, I think you just have to use a bit of common sense when you're in the World of Cyber. I know lots of folks with FB (my son set me up on it) and love it. I, personally, don't find it nearly as interesting as blogging or visiting bloggers. Any of my Old Friends from the past that I care to "connect" with--I already have. I do know that anything computery related takes up a WHOLE lot of a person's time--time that could be spent with family and friends you actually associate with in real life. I also know it messes with folks job performance at work and at home---too much time at the keyboard. It's just like everything else in this world--moderation (and common sense!).
In the mean time, I'll miss you and your posts, but I understand your concerns! Dana

MJ said...

I've never visited any place other than blogland! I'm pretty happy here and haven't mustered the time/energy to venture otherwise

Enjoy your blogging break!

Michelle said...

Hi Jillian,

Enjoy your break.. I completely understand!

Michelle

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Hi Jillian,
Thanks so much for your sweet comments!
I can completely relate to this post. Although I'm not on Facebook, I do understand the feeling of being overwhelmed by the whole Social Media/marketing thing.
I just had to come to terms with the fact that, although I LOVE visiting blogs, I don't have more than a day or two each week to spend on it. :(
Enjoy your break. We'll still be here when you come back.

Kimberly :)

Free Art Printables said...

I am sooo addicted it's terrible!