Sunday, August 16, 2009

Spiritual Sunday ~ Bald Knob Cross

Last night I started writing up my Spiritual Sunday post. It was long and lengthy and full of all kinds of stuff about what is happening to our country, townhall meetings, etc.

I decided to take a break from the post and get a good night's sleep. When I woke up this morning I headed back to the computer. I couldn't get the words Bald Knob Cross out of my head.

Bald Knob Cross is a HUGE structure in Southern Illinois, built back in 1937. When I was a young TV producer out in Missouri, I had the great experience of visiting this cross to get video of it for local promotion of our coverage area. People there love this cross. Friends of mine who worked at the TV station with me were so inspired by this cross they were engaged to be married there. Many Easter sunrise services have been held there. A truly incredible place. The website's slogan reads "Standing as a testimony to God's love." Beautiful!

This morning when I went to pull up images of the cross to show you, I discovered this:




My heart sank. What? The last (ten) years have not been good to the cross.

I even found a blog where people were mocking it, hoping it would be destroyed.
My heart sank even further. It was a VERY inspiring place, let me tell you. High up on a hill it can be seen for miles. Here is more on its history.


When I went to the Bald Knob Cross website, I discovered they are trying to restore it. Hallelujah!

They do need help to keep it going. I was so moved, I made a donation. I don't normally ask this but if you would like, could you also help today? If not with money, but maybe with prayers so that others may be able to donate.

The future of many sunrise services depend on it.

Thanks so much for reading about a very inspiring and spiritual place!

For more great Spiritual Sunday posts... check out Charlotte and Ginger's blog here.

The number of bloggers joining up is growing. Another Hallelujah. Won't you join them?




12 comments:

Denise said...

Thanks for sharing this, I will pray.

SmilingSally said...

I'm happy to know that a cross still inspires people. Thank you.

Lisa said...

I'm glad the restoration process is underway!

RCUBEs said...

I'm glad that they are restoring it but I wonder how many are aware of the restoration that only comes from the Cross?

Blessings...

Ms.Daisy said...

I pray the restoration on this beautiful cross goes forward without running into roadblocks! May God Bless this restoration process!


Ms.Daisy Mau

Musings of A Minister said...

Very interesting post. I will be interested in knowing how the restoration project goes. I pray that it does get restored. I probably will never see it, but the people in the area and those who visit there will be blessed by seeing it and what it represents.

Ashley ~ said...

Absolutely cool*! I'm going to click on the sites you sent and read more about the cross*!
(((hugs)) _Ashley*

Charlotte said...

I can identify with this cross. Sometimes I feel like this cross looks. It was made in 1937. I was born in '36. I'm so glad they are restoring it. I can see how it was such an inspiration and it will be again I'm sure.
Thank you for sharing this with us today.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

WOW~~~ I'm sure this cross has touched many hearts, and I pray that it will touch many more hearts. Maybe even those who don't want it now but some day may feel the need to need it.
Thank-you so much for these pictures and post.
God Bless,
Ginger

Loren said...

Isn't it funny how we set out to do something or in your case write something and the Lord comes along and changes that.....I just love it when that happens! Thankyou for sharing about this Cross. I will pray for the restoration process and go check out the site!

blessings to you

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Thank you for your post, Jillian. The cross of Christ to some represents salvation; others something to mock. I hope they get it restored. Sorry I'm so late getting to your post. Have a great week.

Blessings,
Sandi

kymber said...

Wow! Such a beautiful cross - I hope that they are able to save it. It is a lovely beacon of hope for all to see. No wonder you love it so!
I am so glad that you stopped by to say hi on Sunday - It is great to meet you! I look forward to reading more of your wonderful blog and getting to know you better!
Blessings on your day today,
Kymber